Minecraft: PlayBox Edition is the port of Minecraft for the PlayBox home entertainment system, made by Olympus Inc. in conjunction with Mojang AB and 4J Studios. It was released on 22 April 2016 as a launch title for US$12.99. It was released on the PlayBox Marketplace as a digital download for US$14.99 on 5 March 2017, but users who purchased the disc version could get the digital version for free. A free demo version exists that lasts ten in-game days.
Minecraft: PlayBox Edition includes support for 12 shader effects, the ability to set custom skins, sixteen player online support, and a Minecraft Marketplace that includes the ability to play mods, download community maps and projects, and use mash-up packs.
There are also five servers that work with other editions of Minecraft: InPVP, Lifeboat, Mineplex, The Hive, and Hypixel.
The objective of the game remains the same as other iterations of Minecraft, where players can build virtual realities in a sandbox-like environment. It has survival elements present in other versions of the game such as brewing, hunger, and dimensions like The Nether and The End. Up to eight people can play in a world locally together.
The HUD and other elements are similar to that of other console versions of the game. As of September 2017 the current version is 1.67 – equivalent to Java Edition 1.13.2.
Differences from the other console editions of Minecraft include:
- Beta Tester Program – eligible players can test experimental snapshots of the game. One can join the program on Olympus Inc.'s website.
- Worlds are infinite
- 24 chunk render distances
- Four mini games: Battle, Tumble, Glide, and Capture the Flag
- More in-game music tracks than usual
- Support for mods from a Mod Market
Several DLC packs have been released by Olympus Inc. or other creators since the game's release.
The default texture packs are City, Plastic, Natural, Fantasy, Cartoon, Festive 2016, and Candy.
The default skin packs are Town Folk, City Folk, Festive 2016, Minecon 2016, Chinese Mythology, Greek Mythology, and Skyrim.
There is only one official mash-up pack made by Olympus: the Realism Pack.
The Mod Market is a marketplace of modifications for the game that may add or change features. A separate world is created when using these mods to prevent corruptions with vanilla worlds. There are currently over 500 supported mods. A majority of them are free, but some can range anywhere from US$0.99 to US$2.99.
Realism Pack DLC
The Realism Pack DLC was released on 7 March 2017 by Olympus Inc. for US$4.99, and includes the following content:
- Realisticraft Texture Pack – a photorealistic 512×512 texture pack, comes packed with shaders to give the game a realistic feel
- Famous Figures Skin Pack – a collection of skins of famous people such as MLK Jr., George Washington, and the Beatles.
- AmbientCraft – a collection of 24 ambient songs made by various artists, plus 5 remixes of in-game songs.