Olympus Inc. (NYSE: OLYP) is an American multinational conglomerate company headquartered in Little Rock, AR. Founded on 2 March 1982 by QuickWhitt7 in Orlando, Florida, it currently has over 976,000 employees as of 2017 and is best known for the PlayBox video game console, the Nexus OS line of operating systems, the Eagle line of computers and hardware, several video game franchises, and its Olympus Plus web portal and line of online services.
1982-1988: Founding and company beginnings
1988-1994: Growing popularity
1994-2007: Success in the technology industry
It was announced in August 1995 that a television channel was "in the early alpha stages", and was being worked on with its Open Media Ltd. subsidiary. On 1 January 1999, the Oasis Network was launched as a United States-exclusive network. It expanded to European markets in the later years.
2007-2017: Contemporary era
2017-present: Expansion to other industries
Olympus Inc.'s first headquarters was in Orlando, Florida from its founding in 1982 until March 1999, when the company moved to Little Rock, Arkansas.
Bus and bicycle transportation are available around the 650 acre area, dubbed Olympus Park. There are five solar carports capable of producing 2 megawatts of electricity.
Mergers and acquisitions
- Open Media Ltd. – media production; acquired in 1988
- Nevermore Game Studios – video games; acquired in 1999
- Pi Networks – telecommunications; acquired in 2000
- Mapsy – mapping; bought from Oracle in 2001
- Amethyst Production Studios – music; acquired in 2001
- Dunn & Co – programming and software; acquired in 2001
- Titans Advertising – advertising; acquired in 1984
- Comodo Group, Inc. – antivirus; acquired in 2014
Products and services
The PlayBox is a home entertainment system and video game console unveiled in October 2015, and released worldwide on April 22, 2016.
The Eagle computer brand is a line of desktop computers and laptops first introduced on October 1, 1997. They used to come with the Windows operating systems, but now run Nexus OS.
Nexus OS is a line of graphical operating systems, first released in October 2000.
- Nexus OS Andromeda – released 22 October 2000, discontinued 1 May 2010.
- Nexus OS Sol – released 12 December 2007, discontinued 1 May 2017.
- Nexus OS Luna – released 13 February 2011, discontinued 1 May 2022.
- Nexus OS Terra – released 20 March 2016, discontinued 1 May 2025.
Other miscellaneous products
- HS-DVD - a proprietary disc format. Released March 30, 2001.
- Minecraft: PlayBox Edition - a version of Minecraft for the PlayBox, developed in conjunction with Mojang and 4J Studios. Released 22 April 2016.
- Terraria: PlayBox Edition - a version of Terraria for the PlayBox, developed in conjunction with Re-Logic. Released 22 April 2017.