Olympus Inc. (NYSE: OLYP) is an American multinational conglomerate company headquartered in Philadelphia. Founded on 2 March 1982 by QuickWhitt7 in Orlando, Florida, it currently has over 976,000 employees as of 2017 and is best known for the PlayBox video game console, the Nexus OS line of operating systems, several video game franchises, and its Olympus Plus web portal and line of online services.
1982-1988: Founding and company beginnings
1988-1994: Growing popularity
1994-2007: Success in the technology industry
It was announced in August 1995 that a television channel was "in the early alpha stages", and was being worked on with its Open Media Ltd. subsidiary. On 1 January 1999, the Oasis Network was launched as a United States-exclusive network. It expanded to European markets in the later years.
2007-2017: Contemporary era
2017-present: Expansion to other industries
The current headquarters as of January 2017 are located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in a dedicated area of the city known as Olympus Park. Bus and bicycle transportation is available around the area. There are five solar carports capable of producing 2 megawatts of electricity.
Mergers and acquisitions
- Open Media Ltd. – media production
- Nevermore Game Studios – video games
- Pi Networks – telecommunications
- Mapsy – mapping
- Amethyst Production Studios – music
- Dunn & Co – programming and software
- Titans Advertising – advertising
- Comodo Group, Inc. – antivirus
Products and services
The PlayBox is a home entertainment system and video game console unveiled in October 2015, and released worldwide on 22 April 2016.
Nexus OS is a line of graphical operating systems, first released in October 2000.
- Nexus OS Andromeda – released 22 October 2000, discontinued 1 May 2010.
- Nexus OS Sol – released 12 December 2007, discontinued 1 May 2017.
- Nexus OS Luna – released 13 February 2011, discontinued 1 May 2022.
- Nexus OS Terra – released 20 March 2016, discontinued 1 May 2025.
Other miscellaneous products
- HS-DVD - a proprietary disc format. Released March 30, 2001.
- Minecraft: PlayBox Edition - a version of Minecraft for the PlayBox, developed in conjunction with Mojang and 4J Studios. Released 22 April 2017.
- Terraria: PlayBox Edition - a version of Terraria for the PlayBox, developed in conjunction with Re-Logic. Released 22 April 2017