Windows 365 is a personal computer operating system released by Microsoft for desktop computers on 29 September 2017. A version for mobile devices and server computers was both released on 27 October 2017. Microsoft's video game console and home entertainment system, the Xbox Plus, runs a special version of Windows 365.
Development began as early as late 2015 under the codename "Arctic", and was designed as an improvement to and uses some of the same elements as Windows 7. It was announced on July 1, 2016 at a media event under the name Windows 365.
The taskbar supports groupings of icons, which can be done by either right-clicking the taskbar and choosing "Create Group" or dragging an existing icon onto another icon. There can be up to 9 icons in a grouping.
The Start orb design can be customized via the Control Panel.
Gadgets are lightweight, single-purpose applications that can be dragged around the desktop. In Windows 365 they snap to the right side of the screen in a sidebar. Third-party gadgets can be downloaded and installed, but the default gadgets are:
- Calendar - a calendar service
- Clock - a digital and analog clock, with timer capabilities
- Contacts - a contact gadget that lists contacts from Google, Microsoft, and Facebook services
- CPU Meter - a gadget that measures CPU speed, RAM usage, and other specifications
- RSS Feed Headlines - a gadget that can collect data from RSS and Atom feeds
- Notes - a sticky note gadget
- Translator - a language gadget than can translate and speak aloud 73 different languages, provided by Google Translate
- Reader - a gadget that reads aloud text that is entered, for accessibility purposes
- Weather - a weather gadget with 7-day and hourly forecasts, provided by AccuWeather
- Digital World Clocks - a series of clocks that show times in different time zones around the world
- Moon Giant - a moon phase tracker
- Clip Collector - a clipboard gadget that can save up to 120 clips
- Dictionary - a dictionary and thesaurus gadget, provided by Merriam-Webster.
Internet Explorer 12
Internet Explorer 12 is the default web browser for Windows 365. It features a new download manager that lets users choose where to save files; better support for HTML5, CSS3, and WebGL; improved security and phishing filters; the ability to pin and group tabs; a Reading view to read without distractions and in a clutter-free environment; slight CPU and RAM usage decreases; support for WebVR; an integrated PDF reader; and integration of Microsoft Rewards and Bing Translator services
- Choose colors using an RGB value or a hexadecimal value
- Blur, Smudge, Burn, and Sharpen tools
- Transparency levels can be set
- Undo limit raised to 50
- Add multiple layers to an image
- Color histogram
- Color correction
- Noise removal
- Red-eye removal
- Can take video recordings up to 5 minutes long, in .mp4 format
Windows Media Player
- Support for more file formats such as .ogg, .oga, and .ogv
- Support for broadcasting/transferring audio and video to a projector or mobile device
Windows Sound Recorder
- Added currency conversion, with support for over 30 currencies
- Re-sizable window
- Can be snapped to the side
- More anti-spam and anti-phishing filters
- Syntax-highlighting for 30 programming languages
- Optional dark theme
Windows Movie Maker
Windows Photo Gallery
- Cleanup of unnecessary files and the ability to defragment certain drives
- Combined from "Disk Cleanup" and "Disk Defragmenter"